Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/trulymad/public_html/wp-content/plugins/q-and-a/inc/functions.php on line 252
Greetings to lovely you,
I’m not one for gushy greetings, but I suspect that if you’re reading this, that you’re a carer.
I was too. For over a decade with my Mum. That’s her photo on the left.
My heart goes out to you. You’re probably sitting there in front of your computer, thinking … I wonder if this will help? Maybe it will, maybe it won’t. It’s overwhelming when you’re in the midst of all the emotions running rife in this situation.
Here’s 10 common ‘mistakes’, they’re not really mistakes. I’m just trying to create a mental shift for you, so it’s not so tough travelling down that road with that person that you love.
I hope it helps.
I can’t promise that they’ll all be true for you. Our stories are all different.
My story is one of travelling down the road with my Mum who had Alzheimer’s. I’ve created an online program to help those of you in the same boat. You can read more about that at the bottom of this post.
Having said that, I hope that no matter who you’re caring for, there’s something here that will give you a little mental ‘wake-up’ and bring you more peace.
Here’s the list of common ‘mistakes’:
- TRYING TO DO IT ALL BY YOURSELF: Don’t go it alone. Burn your solo cape -ask for what you need- reach out. Yes you can.
- CRITICISING YOURSELF: Love yourself no matter what. You’re doing your best. Even when you think you aren’t
- JUDGING OTHERS: Let go of managing how other people should be behaving, they’re doing their best too, even when you think they aren’t. You cannot change other people, all you can do is let them know how they can help.
- PUTTING YOUR LIFE ON HOLD: Your life must go on-drop the guilt-keep something for yourself that makes you happy
- REJECTING HELP: If people offer to help, accept it. There’s no prizes for going it alone.
- DENYING YOUR FEELINGS: it’s a tough journey. You have to allow yourself to feel your feelings. How do you do this? EFT tapping is a wonderful technique that helped me through
- BEING ATTACHED TO THE WOULDA SHOULDA COULDA’S: what you’re dealing with is NOW, and no matter how much anyone could have done, stay present to now. You cannot change the past
- HOLDING IT ALL IN: find someone to share your feelings with, it’s ok to be vulnerable. It doesn’t mean you can’t handle it. Trusting someone with your vulnerability is a huge compliment to them.
- THINKING THAT THIS IS ‘YOUR LOT’ AND NOTHING CAN CHANGE YOUR JOURNEY OF PAIN: You cannot change what is happening on the ‘outside’ but you can change how you feel on the ‘inside’. You CAN travel this path with a lot more peace and acceptance. Your willingness is all that is required to listen in to a FREE webinar where I take you through, step by step, the technique that helped me in that painful journey with my own Mum.
- THINKING THAT THIS IS ANOTHER CRAP MONEY GRABBING PLOY TO PLAY ON MY VULNERABLE EMOTIONS: No. If you knew me you would know that is the furtherest thing from my mind. On my webinar, I teach you for free, the technique that helped me. Whether or not you choose to join a community where we all share our experiences/adventures/sadnesses/feelings if absolutely within your control.
I hope this has helped you, no matter where you are up to in your journey with someone you love,
Her’s the linke to the Carer’s Support Group if you may think it will help. Have a listen to the free Webinar and see if it’s for you, Jx